At Somerville Secondary College we firmly believe that quality teaching is the key to effective learning and positive outcomes. Our vision for the future is to:
- Offer high quality, broad educational programs that engage students and allow them to reach their full potential.
- Ensure the promotion of a congenial college wide atmosphere of mutual respect and responsibility that encourages students to apply their thinking and communication skills in cooperation with their teachers and each other as they aspire to excellence.
- Deliver a broad curriculum that reflects best practice, incorporates the effective use of learning technologies and allows students to become lifelong learners.
- Support and nurture staff to work together in teams to ensure the development of each and every student and the achievement of the College vision, goals and priorities.
- Provide a range of leadership opportunities, extracurricular, support and extension programs for students to ensure a wide range of educational experiences within a supportive and caring community.
The College ethos is one of caring for each student as an individual, and it aims to provide a safe, happy and friendly environment where students and staff develop positive relationships and all students are encouraged to reach their full potential. The ethos is heavily influenced by research around the Middle Years and underpins a substantial on-going program restructure that incorporates curriculum, pastoral, welfare and organisational change and development.