|Featured Learning Area||Technology|
|Additional Learning Areas||Building Engineering|
|Learning Capabilities Developed||Critical and creative thinking and planning. Developing, refining and evaluating design solutions and production capabilities.|
This elective is designed to give students the experience of understanding and following drawn plans to manufacture products and artefacts to given specifications using a range of hand and machine workshop tools. Skills that are covered include:
- how to read plan drawings.
- how to understand measurement and scale in working drawings.
- how to measure and mark out a range of materials from given drawings.
- how to plan ahead when making given product.
- how to use hand tools and machine tools safely.
- how to manipulate a range of materials including wood, metals and plastics.
- safe workshop procedure and understanding of Safe Work Method Statements.
- basic computer aided design skills to create dimensioned drawings.
The aim is for students to demonstrate they can competently and safely operate in a workshop environment, follow instruction and read and understand given drawings to manufacture accurate outcomes using a range of hand and power tools and machines.